A few weeks ago we featured fantastic 5-9er Yvonne from Kake and Cupkakery. [gallery type="circle" ids="2807,2843,2839"]
This week, she has kindly agreed to share her 'top tips to starting up a cakey biz':
- Research you area, find out about the competition, what they do, what they charge and build a local network. Just because another business is competition doesn’t mean you cannot support each other.
- Know your skill set and limitations, if there is an area you’re not confident in practice, go on course. YouTube is amazing for free tutorials as is Facebook.
- Know your cost and be honest with yourself regarding quoting and charging for cake. You have to earn some money!
- Find your niche, is it wedding cakes, cake pops, novelty cakes, macaroons or cupcakes?
- Use social media, it is absolutely free and remember you get out of it what you put in.
- Network! I have met and made some amazing contacts through networking.
- Get friends and family to recommend you and get them to keep their ear to the ground about any events where you can get to promote your business.
- And remember people buy from people. It’s your character and customer service that will play a big part in your business.