Pumpkin flesh has loads of skincare goodies in it: Vitamin A to cleanse and soften; antioxidants Vitamin C and Zinc which can also help boost collagen; AHAs to exfoliate and detoxify; Phosphorous to strengthen cell structure. So, fight premature ageing, unclog pores and brighten your skin with these home-made body treats!
The Cooking Bit
Remove the seeds and slice your pumpkin into large chunks. Bake chunks at 200 degrees Celsius (gas mark 6) or steam until soft enough to puree, then cool and blend to a puree. Use in the following recipes.
Pumpkin Body Scrub
Blend 100g pureed pumpkin with 100g Demerara sugar and 50ml sunflower or grapeseed oil until smooth.
Pumpkin Body Mask
Blend 100g pureed pumpkin, 50g runny honey, 2 beaten egg yolks, 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt and mix in enough olive oil to make it spreadable but not runny.
- Warm your bedroom, lay some towels on the bed, put on relaxing music and light scented candles.
- Run a warm bath or shower, jump in and dampen your skin. Apply the body scrub in small circular motions then rinse off.
- Lightly towel dry leaving skin warm and damp. Quickly apply the Body Mask. Wrap yourself in the towels on the bed and wriggle under the duvet to stay warm.
- Relax for about 10-15 mins.
- Wash off the mask with warm water.
- Lightly apply pumpkin seed oil to your body when dry (sunflower or grapeseed oil will do if you can't get hold of pumpkin seed oil).
PS Remember, these recipes are fresh and need to be stored in the fridge and should not be kept for more than about 2-3 days.